Friday, January 10, 2014

Day 9

I don't have a lot of spending vices.  I buy generic clothes.  I have no clue how fashion works and if I ever tried to be fashionable I'd make a fool of myself.  I secretly hope one of my daughters become fashionable so they can teach me.  I do not "do" hair and nails.  If I'm lucky my hair gets cut 2x a year.  At Great Clips  With a coupon.  For $12 total.  I've gotten a few pedicures and I *love* them but honestly just don't have time for them.  You'd never in a million years catch me paying more than $10 for a bag, purse, or pair of sunglasses.  Here are my vices:

     -Food.  I loooove to cook.  I looooove to eat.  I can justify any food purchase of any price.  
    
 -Toys for my kids.  Its so easy to get caught up in wanting to give them everything.  I usually can refrain but I certainly have overspent my fair share on Barbies, princesses, Thomas and Elmo.
    
 -Vitamins/Natural stuff.  I have a phobia of sickness-particularly anything stomach.  If there is some sort of vitamin or natural remedy that promises it will help prevent it, I am all over it.  

So far avoiding food has been fairly easy.  There were a few days that I needed a few ingredients or wanted to make something I didn't already have all the stuff for but I was mostly able to talk myself out of it.  I spent an extra $6 on Wednesday (out of the $48 left) on Mayo, juice and avocados.  But That was all still okay and part of what is allowed in spending.  

I really wanted (want?) to buy Libby this set of Sesame Street books on Ebay.  They are only $10 and it's such a great steal!  But I'm refraining.  Hopefully in 3 weeks I can find something similar.  It's weird to be forced to wait to buy something.  And it's equally minding opening to realized I don't actually *need* the things I'm passing up and I am still in one piece after not buying.

A few days ago I heard about this one essential oil that can help prevent illness.  I want to buy it soooo bad.  It's $50.  I'm still trying to find a way to justify it but so far I haven't come up with any solution.  So for now I look at it a few times a day and wish....

So far we at still good.  John has still only bought the one tank of gas.  I just filled up yesterday for $50.  We have still spent under $50 on food in the past 10 days.  I think we are doing amazing.  Another 4 or 5 days and we'll really be able to see and feel the difference in our Discover bill (which as I mentioned before is where we put 90% of our spending every month.)  I'm so glad we're doing this and even more pleased it's not as hard (yet) as I thought.

No comments: