Monday, March 09, 2009

Hard Choices

John and I had decided long ago that if we had a boy, we would circumcise him. I know this is a controversial topic, and I'm not writing to get other's opinions on what we've already chosen. I'm writing because we just got our appointment for the consultation to have it done. Before Jamie was here, it was an easy choice. There was no actual baby or person involved in the decision. It was straight forward for us. We knew with certainty this was what we wanted to do. Now that he's here, my heart breaks at the thought of hurting him. John and I are still firm on our choice and think it's the best one for us and for Jamie, but still, my heart breaks knowing in a few weeks my poor baby will go through something very painful. Part of him will be taken away and the perfect person that came out of me just a few days ago will be changed forever. Again, we are sure of our choice, but my heart still hurts.

4 comments:

Erica said...

Oh, I SO relate...

Anonymous said...

ahem....
can we talk about this tomorrow? you dont HAVE to make a decision right now if you are so conflicted....
kate

Atwood-Family of FIVE said...

I'm not conflicted, I just feel bad that we have (or more accurately are going) to do it.

Shellie said...

Like so many things in life, this is a gray area. There is no absolute or right reason. There are perfectly valid reasons for doing it or not. I empathize with you and how you must be feeling.