Sunday, July 06, 2008

Let's give it a try and see where this goes...

Encouraged, excited and spurred on by both our great week of healthful, vegetarian eating and Green Smoothie Girl John and I are interested in trying a semi-vegetarian lifestyle. As the title says, we'll give it a try, not stick to any hard and fast rules, and see what happens. Here's our non-hard and fast rules:

1. Be purposeful in making healthy vegetarian meals throughout the week.
2. Purposefully stay away from making meals that have meat as a main attraction in the meal.
3. Eat meat as it's offered to us. This might mean eating lunch meat sandwiches that are served at a friend's house, eating the BBQ dinner at my niece's birthday party, or eating sausage and pepperoni (how oxymoron is that to our new vegetarian "lifestyle?") on our pizza.

The goal is not to become strict vegetarians but to mindfully eat more healthful and less expensively.

If anyone has any recipes for vegetarian things or any uber healthy cookbooks, please pass them on. Specifically John and I are looking for recipes that go beyond pasta and marinara sauce and more toward lentils, dried beans, quinoa, whole wheats, etc. But, I will welcome anything anyone has to say on either recipes, cookbooks or even yay or nays on our possible new lifestyle. Looking forward to your comments!

Ps. Anyone ever used the "More with Less" Cookbook? I have 2 others by the same publishers and love them. I'd love to hear feedback on it.

5 comments:

Shellie said...

I think I have a recipie for a pasta casserole, sorry it's pasta instead of lentils, with green beans and cheddar cheese and french fried onions in it. I'm not much of a cook so it is not a fancy recipie but it is definately a meal without any meat in it and it is good in an old-fashioned kind of way. Let me know if you're interested and I'll try to find it for you. Oh, yeah, lunch will be bbq at Andrina's birthday but I can get extra veggie burgers if you want. But some of the food we'll be making will be the Hawiian chicken kabobs and the steak kabobs that you love! That my thwart your vegetarian attempts! Sorry!

Shellie said...

I just went on to PETAs website and you can get vegetarian recipies from them (being animal rights activits that makes sense). I also typed in "the compassionate cook" which I remember from my vegetarian days in the 90s into amazon.com and that book is 50 cents and some other cheap vegetarian cook books come up too if you're interested. Let me know if any of this help, and I just scanned and emailed you 4 recipies too.

Atwood-Family of FIVE said...

We'll eat whatever you serve us! We aren't going 100% vegetarian, maybe more like 75% is the goal.

Heather said...

I just made a tasty soup that is all vegetables. Yes soup in summer! But it looks and sounds so refreshing so I had to try it. It is by Ellie Krieger who is on the Food Network, her show is "Healthy Appetite." Here is the link: http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_109278,00.html

Heather said...
This comment has been removed by the author.