Thursday, January 24, 2008

Retraction

Dear Summer,

Please accept my deepest regrets and apologies. I have no idea why I said the things I did and why I didn't love and cherish you while you were here. Winter has been brutal to us the past few weeks. We've had subzero wind chills that literally take your breath away when you run outside. My little girl has learned to automatically bury her head in my shoulder whenever we go outside to help cut the biting wind. We've had snow and snow flurries and despite living in Chicago, the land of bad weather, as soon as a single flake hits the ground, traffic grinds to a halt, making life even more miserable. I can't go outside and thus my little girl and I are banished to indoor play. I've exhausted about as much creativity as I can for the moment. Please dear, precious summer, come back to us. I won't ever speak ill of you again. I promise. I just want to be able to walk to the mailbox without the fear that my fingers will freeze off, I want to take my dog for a 5 minute walk again, she doesn't remember what it is like to go outside and not run back in after her pee has frozen coming out of her. I want to be able to take my little girl to the park and the pool and show her that the outdoors is not a cruel place that only wants to do her harm and cause her pain. Please, Summer, please come back...

Anxiously waiting,

Indoor and cold Mama

2 comments:

Farrah said...

This made me giggle. :) It is rediculously cold. We ventured to the library today just to get out of the house. All three of us (me, Lucas, the dog) are going insane! Come spring, come!!!

Shellie said...

Ditto. And don't forget just how awful winter is on our skin! Come spring, come summer, I can't wait any longer!