Monday, November 26, 2012

One, Five and Ten

I just heard a 20 questions type thing and three of the questions were:

1.  What were you doing exacctly one year ago?
2.  What were you doing exactly 5 years ago?
3.  What were you doing exactly 10 years ago?

I thought these were great questions, especially because my life has changed so drastically in 10 short years.  So here goes:

Exactly one year ago I was cherishing every second with my baby.  I had a 5 year old, a 2 year old and a 5 month old baby who had only spent 10 weeks at home with us at that point.  I was getting to know her and loving every single second with her.  I was figuring out how to live life with three very young children and realizing that three was SO. MUCH. HARDER. than 2!  Anne was only in half day kindergarten and Jamie didn't go to school at all so every day I had to parent and raise three children nearly all the time.  It was a tough adjustment but one that I did love.  I am still adjusting to three kids-one thing I find myself saying is that I am always out of breath.  And it's true.  But I love them to pieces and I love having three of them!

Exactly 5 years ago I had a 19 month old.  I was working part time.  I was still in a state of shock over simply being a parent and although I knew I wanted more kids I didn't know when that time would ever come.  While I was very involved in being Anne's parent my life didn't revolve around her as it does revolve around them now.  I still had quite a lot of autonomy due mostly to working and only having one child at that point.

Exactly 10 years ago I was 21.  I was still living with my parents and going to college.  I was working as a waitress at Steak N' Shake.  I had no boyfriend and no prospects.  Shortly-within 6 months- I would move out and into my own apartment with a roommate.  By the end of 2003 I would lose my job and start looking for new ones in my field.  In March I would interview and get a job in my field and shortly after that ask a friend if she knew any single guys.  She did.  She knew one named John....

I remember I used to sit in my room as a teenager and dream about what it would be like to grow up, get married, have kids.  I used to think about how that would solve all my problems and it would be a dream come true.  This is life so not all my problems have been solved by getting married and having kids.  But I do have to admit...it has been a dream come true.  And I am so grateful and blessed.

2 comments:

Nicole said...

Love this!! I'll have to do one too!!

Bonnie said...

That was nice reading your story. I didn't know that those things about you. I mean about your younger days of working, while going to college, your dreams and dreams coming true....of cousre not all problems will ever be solved by anything on earth. It would be nice, wouldn't it?