Wednesday, February 15, 2012

A love letter to Anne on Valentine's Day

Dear Anne,

Six years ago I was pregnant with you, due in about 12 weeks. Daddy gave you a card and a candy heart. I ate the candy for you and we agreed you got it via osmosis. I had no idea how my life would change when you decided to enter it 10 weeks later screaming and raring to go! It was a hard start but once we got past the rough few months of me getting used to being a Mother, what an unbelievable treasure loving you was! You taught me what it was to truly love someone. I don't think I had ever loved someone before I had you. Just thinking about you brought tears to my eyes and made me weep. Truly, you woke my heart up and taught me what it meant to love my child.

Now you are a big girl. Nearly 6 years old and a wonderful daughter and big sister. I am so happy to have you as my daughter! You are so helpful. What a joy to be able to ask you to help me and you do and can! You are great at comforting your sister, playing with your brother and helping out with chores around the house. I love spending time reading with you, playing games and doing puzzles. I love that you are getting a sense of humor and starting to become your own person. Every day you grow and become a girl, leaving babyhood and toddlerhood farther and farther behind. Next year you will be going to first grade and in all day school and already I am dreading it. I wish I could grab you in my arms and somehow make the world stop for just a few minutes. So you could be my beautiful, skinny, sweet, little girl forever. My little girl who can wear mismatched clothes, have uncombed hair and smell her ducky without any self consciousness.

I love you so very much. Even now as I write this to you, I am crying and my throat has a knot in it. No matter what happens, no matter where you go, no matter how old you get, I will love you forever. There might be times that we both forget that, but please know that it will always be true. I love you so much Kiddo.

Love you forever and always,
Mommy

No comments: