Saturday, February 25, 2012

Lent

One thing I love about our church is it celebrates Lent. I have never been to a church that celebrates Lent before and I love it. My personality lends itself well to having a Church Calendar and Lent is part of that. I think that Christians that don't celebrate Lent might view it as something someone might use to earn their way to God. But, for me at least, that's not what it is. It's a time to give up, or to add, something to my life that will bring me closer to God. Maybe it's a bad habit that I've been feeling called to give up or maybe it's a good habit I've been feeling called to add. Or maybe it's just something to start doing or stop doing that gives me a tangible reminder of God-something that calls my attention back to Him when I would normally gloss over Him.

This year, and last year too, I felt very convicted to give up Facebook for Lent. Facebook is something I spend an embarrassingly insane amount of time on. So much so that it takes away time from spending with my kids and from doing things I need to get done or want to get done. I feel convicted to give it up practically every day so Lent is the perfect time to put that into practice. My desire is that in addition to giving up Facebook I can add in at least 10 minutes of quiet every day. Even if that means just reading a novel, I will count that. My life is very loud. I have 3 kids who are constantly demanding attention. It's hard to go even 5 minutes without a little voice or little hands calling out to me. And when they are all asleep or otherwise occupied I find it much too easy to distract myself with other noise-music, the TV...my life is obviously lacking in quiet and peace and some of that is my own purposeful choice. I know that I would do better to add in some quiet time to reflect on life and to make space for God so that is something I am adding during this time of Lent.

This past Wednesday was Ash Wednesday and the first day of Lent. So I have been Facebook free going on 4 days now. Coincedentally John took apart our computer and rebuilt it starting on Wednesday. Today is the first day I've had it back. So in addition to being facebook free I've virtually been unplugged for the past 3 days. I have my Kindle Fire but since 80% of my emails are facebook related and probably 15% or more require an actual computer to address, I haven't even been checking my email the past 3 days. It's been really really lovely. When I've been spending time with the kids the past 3 days I've been able to focus on them more singularly. I haven't been sneaking away to check email. We've had some good reading times and fun dollhouse adventures, complete with dinosaurs trying to eat the people (Jamie's touch). I've gotten a TON done around the house too. I completely spring cleaned the bottom floor of our house (another blog). And I have been able to add in quiet time. I've read some of a novel and have been able to do several chapters for my weekly Bible study that I normally find it difficult to get to. So so far Lent has been lovely.

I'm really grateful for this time of year-for this time to be more intentional with my habits-to be able to add things in and take things out that aren't working. I hope the rest of Lent continues to go just as well.

Ps. Sundays are "Feast Days" in our tradition so if you see me on Facebook on those days I'm not cheating, I'm indulging and remembering God's graciousness to us.

2 comments:

The Hardys said...

I think that I've told you that Lent is my favorite season, with my favorite church service of the year being Good Friday. I'm very proud of you for giving up Facebook!!! I know that I couldn't do it, so I've decided to give up swearing in preparation for the 2 little ones joining our house. I don't swear a ton, but more than I probably should. I'm great about watching my mouth around kids as I work with them all day, but TJ definitely slips up sometimes in front of our friends' kids.

I don't think I will be 'feasting' on Sundays as I can just imagine myself dropping f-bombs or something, ha ha ha ha. TJ and I have used a lot of substitutes though, so I'm not sure if that's any better (i.e. truck, shut the front door, etc). Can't wait to see you in a few weeks!!!

Atwood-Family of FIVE said...

Thanks Amber! I know that Lent is certainly my favorite time in the Church calendar-I think the past few years the Ash Wednesday has been my favorite service for sure!