Monday, March 01, 2010

Better Late Than Never

I've been thinking lots lately about what my family and I eat (of course-what else do I think about?) and one thing that hit me at the end of January was that I should have taken this year to tackle the dirty dozen of produce. If you haven't heard what that is, it's a list of the top 12 fruits and veggies that are the most ladened with pesticides and ones that (if you are going to buy organic) should buy organic. I thought 2010 would have been the perfect time to assign each piece of produce a month and start buying them organic. Ideally, these would build on each other (so in March, I would not just buy March's organic produce but January and February as well) so that by the end of the year my family and I are eating completely organic every piece of produce on the list. So now, 3 months later, I have finally gotten my act together and here's my list of what we are going to buy organic this year for produce.

January-Apples
February-Carrots
March-Lettuce (all lettuces-spinach, romaine, etc.)
April-Strawberries
May-Peaches
June-Nectarines
July-Cherries
August-Peppers
September-Celery
October-Grapes
November-Pears
December-Potatoes

I've also made sure that what we are buying that month is in season so hopefully it will cut down on any extra costs of buying organic and out of season. We eat salad every single week-I'd say 5 days out of 7 so my next grocery trip will be my first chance to put the idea to work.

No comments: