Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Craft/Activity for Lent

This is the first week of Lent-our church gave the kids little devotional books for the entire season of Lent. Each week you read a Bible story/devotional, sing a song, can memorize a verse and the really cool part-do a craft or activity as well as bake something! I love it! I can't wait to do all the activities with Anne.
This week the story was on Jesus resisting temptation from the Devil when He was tempted for 40 days. The application of the story was that we can turn to Jesus and ask for His help when we are tempted as well as the fact that because of His death our sins are taken away. So the activity this week was to make a bird feeder-putting torn up pieces of bread it in and relating the bread to our sins (ideally listing some sins to represent each piece of bread). Then when the bird feeder is full of bread, you can use it as an opportunity to show your child how much sin she actually has as well as (and this is the more important part) the fact that Jesus took that sin away by His death and Resurrection. It was great to be able to talk to Anne about these things-which I have struggled with in the past to think about a way to explain it all to a 4 year old. Tonight at dinner while we were telling Daddy about the craft, I told Anne once again the Good News of Jesus taking away our sin and my heart nearly broke in two when she said with big eyes, baby voice and innocence, "Let's pray and ask Jesus to take away my sin." I had to hold back tears as we prayed. I am under no disillusionment that she understood what she said or asked for but how wonderful that God is already working on my daughter's heart and I have hope that one day she will come to the same faith her father and I hold so dear.
Here are some pictures of our little bird feeder. Thank you Jesus for taking away our sins.


Isn't her expression priceless? Love it!


1 comment:

Nicole said...

Welcome back!
These pictures of Anne are so great! Such personality!