Friday, July 24, 2009

The best laid plans...

Since I got pregnant with Jamie, I have had very clear ideas on what I have wanted to do with him that is different than Anne and what I want to do that is the same. Some of those things have happened, and I've been very proud of them. Some of them haven't happened, and I've wound up being okay with those too. It's the progression and evolution of parenting a second baby vs. the first. One of the things I have really wanted to have happen is to wait to give Jamie solids until he is six months old. I gave Anne solids at 5 and a half months and I thought this time, let's make it an even six. Well, tonight Jamie had his first real taste of food-some bananas. Somehow though, this development has seemed very natural-more natural than pureeing food and spooning it to him. With Anne, she went down early as a baby so John and I ate almost all of our dinners just the two of us. With Jamie, he goes down early too, but he's up when we eat. So most dinners he is on one our laps (ok, let's be honest-most dinners he is on my lap). A few weeks ago I started giving him tiny tastes of things; letting him suck on an apple slice or honeydew, breaking off the tiniest piece of steamed, soft carrot and giving it to him. Nothing more than that. Nothing more than just tiny tastes. Nothing I would consider "food". I was out with my sister yesterday and Jamie was fussy. He hadn't gotten a nap yet and needed to be held during lunch. I gave him an apple slice to suck on, and for the first time, he protested when I took it away. He's never protested to me taking something from him before. So I thought maybe it was time to put some food in the mesh baby feeder and see what he does. I put a little piece of banana in it tonight and gave it to him. He LOVED it. It was pretty obvious too! He definitely gobbled it up and at one point he dropped it and as I was handing it back to him I must have been too slow because he started to fuss. I think this will continue to be a trend for us. When he's awake and if he's wanting some food, we'll give him whatever we are eating in the feeder. I still want to wait til 6 months to make it a regular, every day, routine thing, but we'll see how it goes. Maybe he'll wind up skipping spoon feeding altogether and will go straight to soft finger foods. We'll see. Here's my little guy eating food for the first time:


First taste...


Loving it...can you see all the banana drool he's got going on?

One cute, and satisfied, customer

2 comments:

Nicole said...

Oh my gosh, that last picture of him is so cute!

Atwood-Family of FIVE said...

I gotta say I completely agree Nicole!