Tuesday, February 10, 2009

My days are numbered

Since my days-and maybe even my hours-are now truly numbered until the baby comes, I've decided that this week I'm going to take as much advantage of one kid as I can. For me, this doesn't mean spending every spare minute with Anne in as much quality and quantity time as I can. It actually means the opposite. It means that I'm throwing caution to the wind and letting the girl watch TV and giving myself as many breaks as possible! First of all, I am very conscious of how much TV Anne watches. Most days she does 30-60 minutes, occasionally-maybe 1-2x a week she gets the max of 2 hours. This week, if she watches 3 hours a day, every day, that's ok, because it's a very very short time. (Baby could come tonight, who knows!) Second of all, I control stress, feel productive, and keep negative emotions at bay by being busy. If I have a day where I cleaned the kitchen for half an hour, tidied my room, and put away the laundry, I feel so much better emotionally than a day where all I did was maybe put the dishes away. I know a lot of people say to take advantage of this time-nap, lounge on the couch, watch TV, etc. but I'm simply not wired that way. If I spent a whole week doing that while waiting for baby, by the end I'd be a big depressed mess.

So this week, Anne will watch TV in the AM for a hour and I'll clean a bit. She'll take her normal nap and I'll clean a bit more. And depending on if I feel like I need and want more time after her nap, she'll watch more TV. This is my week. This is the time to get rid of all the guilt I would normally have from sticking her in front of the tube for so long and just focus on ME and ME alone. I know in a few days time, I'll have 2 kids and won't be able to do this at all. So, for once, I'm going to be 100% completely selfish and do what I love to do and not feel bad about letting the TV babysit Anne.

PS. I also feel really stressed out-like I have too much to do, not enough time to get ready for baby's arrival. So taking time this week is really going to help alleviate the stress. How is it we all have 40 weeks to get things done and the last week or two we scramble to complete it all? Pregnancies drag for 38 weeks and then the last few days we feel like we haven't had enough time? A mystery of life...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Can't wait for baby time!!! BTW, TJ and I loved your white elephant party. You have the nicest friends!

Good luck!