Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Resolution Revisited

FYI, I've been thinking about my resolutions and I think I have a step for continuing in my faith and daily walk with the Lord. When I started running 6 years ago on a regular basis, it was something I had tried several times in the past and hadn't stuck with. I loved the idea of running and desperately wanted to be a runner. I remember specifically setting out on that first run knowing 2 things-1. I wouldn't be able to go far and 2. I would be sore the next day. I also remember thinking that both those things would resolve themselves if I could stick with it. It hit me clearly that I did not want to go out and run that day or that week in vain and have the pain of it be for nothing. So right then, that first run, I determined to stick with it and my method for doing it was that I would run a minimum of 1x every 3 days. So if I ran on Monday, I could run on Tuesday or Wednesday and if I couldn't do either day, then I had to do Thursday (because 2 non-run days would have passed). This really helped me to think ahead in my schedule and force myself to run when I didn't feel like it. If I skipped Tuesday and knew on Thursday I was working early in the AM til after dark, then Wednesday I had to go out and run because it was my only chance to keep my pact with myself. Similarly, I would often run on Tuesday, just to be able to have the luxury of 2 days off if I choose. I've decided to adopt the same philosophy with reading my Bible and praying. I know, especially with baby coming, that I will not read my Bible every day. Not even every other day. But I think I can manage every 3 days. So that is my hope-to read my Bible a minimum of every 3 days and hopefully that will keep me on some sort of regularity.

No comments: