Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Dear City of Plainfield,

We desperately need a Whole Foods, Trader Joes, anything that gives us more organic and healthful and natural options. Jewel does not cut it.


I recently learned that barley in and of itself is not a whole grain. It must be labeled as "hulled barley" instead of your typical supermarket variety which is called "pearled barley". All barley must be hulled to be eaten but pearled takes it a step farther and removes the bran of the grain. Thus, making it no longer a whole grain. Since learning this fact, tonight was the first time I attempted to buy barley and found that my grocery store (Jewel) only sells pearled barely. Even the organic section sells organic pearled barley. Stinks. I love barely. So I guess to get it whole grain I'll have to drive 30 minutes to the Naperville Whole Foods and see if they sell it there.

I reiterate-Plainfield, we need a Whole Foods here!

2 comments:

Nicole said...

I would LOVE a TJ's. There was a rumor for a little while that a TJ's would go near the downtown area, but after the one newspaper article, I've never heard of it since...

Shellie said...

You need to go to Whole Foods website and find the place where you can request that they add a new store. Good luck, I did it years ago for St Charles. We still don't have a Whole Foods...