Saturday, February 23, 2008

"Guilty Pleasure"

First of all, let me point out that the title is in quotes. That is because I, as a general rule, don't believe in "guilty pleasures". The entire concept points to the fact that there is something you enjoy doing that you feel guilty about. I have been really blessed (or cursed, depending on how you look at it), with the ability to feel almost zero guilt about doing things for myself. I am NOT the mom who feels bad if she goes out with her friends, works out, or does anything for herself. I am not free of guilt, there are a lot of other things I feel guilty for (that's another blog), but spending time on myself is not one of them.

So anyway, back to guilty pleasures. I have a new one. It's pretty bad...Lifetime movies. Since I was a young girl, I have always loved dramatic stories that end in tears or completely unrealistic situations. I have always sought out books like this and movies like this. One of the first movies I remember watching that related to this was the Lifetime movie about the girls that were switched at birth...the family that only had one kid-their girl got cancer and died...oh boy...tears were free flowing. I'm pretty sure I recorded that movie and watched it over and over. Approximate age: seven.

We got Direct TV and a DVR a few weeks ago. I LOVE this contraption. I currently have (literally, no exaggeration) 40 hours of TV viewing that I have recorded on the DVR. Wow! Most of this stuff is Lifetime movies. So, I have dubbed Fridays, "Lifetime movie Friday". I plan out my Friday to include chores I can do while watching Lifetime movies. Mostly folding laundry. Yesterday I watched a real nail biter called "A crime of passion: She woke up pregnant". Thrilling. Last week I watched "Half a dozen babies". And I have so many more lined up; movies on psychopaths stalking psychiatrist's children, cheerleaders getting molested by football players, kids being kidnapped, sisters being murdered for insurance money...the list goes on and on...I am so excited to get going on watching these movies...ah...a true guilty pleasure.

(Note: When I was sick in September-I spent a whole day in bed. This was a glorious occasion because I got to watch 3 Lifetime movies in a row!)

5 comments:

Nicole said...

Sounds like a great plan to me!

I remember that Lifetime movie about the girls being switched at birth and the whole cancer thing! I cannot turn Lifetime on any day that I have things that I need to accomplish. I always get sucked in to whatever the movie is.

Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

I watch lifetime movies every once in awhile, but I know what you mean about your dvr. I have 2 in my house, one in the living room, and one in the bedroom. If you like to read, try reading LOST AND FOUND by Marilyn Harris. It is one of my favorite books.

Shellie said...

I remember when you reading one of my "teen" novels over and over again. We were both about 10 when we each read it. It was called "Six Months to Live" and it was about a 14 year old girl with Lukemia. I remember she had auburn hair and her best friend who also had cancer died in the book. I think I got that from the Scholastic book fair in grade school... You must have read that a dozen times! Oh and I've seen "She Woke Up Pregnant", it was her dentist who raped her while she was under, right? My favorite Lifetime movie is "Empty Cradle" where an infertile nurse fakes her pregnancy and steals a newborn baby girl to give to her boyfriend. She replaces the baby with a stillborn one and the victim mom never gives up that she knows her baby is alive! But the nurse has to steal another baby because her boyfriend wanted a boy! I won't tell you anymore of the story line, but it gets really bad and I won't tell you the ending either. They show it a lot, I'm sure you'll get to see it at some point. Yep, I love Lifetime movies too!

Atwood-Family of FIVE said...

Yep Shellie-it was the dentist one! :) Haha! They just showed the cradle other day but i have seen it already. Good for you-another Lifetime fan!

Anonymous said...

i saw the "empty cradle" one! it is GOOD, and BAD at the same time! so cheesy, it feels like you are eating candy.