Sunday, December 30, 2007

10 Things of 2007

I am totally doing a copy-cat blog; the idea is taken from my friend's Kate's blog. So here goes, my random list of things of 2007.

1. Anne turned one and that seems SO long ago. I can't believe that last year at this time she was a baby. I am anxiously awaiting when she will really truly start to play with me, and unfortunately this did not happen in 2007. I am confident it will happen in the coming year.

2. Anne stopped nursing at 12 months, 4 days of age, and if she had her way she would have done it 2 or 3 months before. This still saddens me to this day, and I will probably be the mom when Anne births her baby who is in the corner crying because she self-weaned way before mama was ready. As in number 1, I have a lot of faith that whenever the next baby joins our family, he or she will still be nursing well into the second year.

3. We have made a huge milestone in not getting pregnant in 2007. We were completely diligent and are supremely grateful that God also decided to let us remain barren this year. We have made a really big milestone as this month, December 2007, is the first month if we accidentally got pregnant, I would be okay and happy about it. Had it happened before this month, instead of a joyful time, I believe there would have been tears and regrets from everyone in the family. Still, no plans to even consider it til the spring.

4. We got Winnie, our puppy Lab. I love Winnie a lot. John tolerates her and Anne thinks she's a sister. Whenever you ask Anne who is in her family or who loves her, she will always mention Winnie. I love that Winnie and Anne are getting to grow up together. I'm also thrilled that I have a companion in her. I love John, I love Anne, I love my friends, but there's something special about a dog companion and I've never had that before. I love that I get to run with Winnie and she will be my forever friend for as long as she's here on this earth with us.

5. In 2007, if possible, my deep love of cooking has grown even deeper. I have always loved to cook, but this year it has expanded exponentially. I now pour over cookbooks, collect them like toys, and spend a good part of my free time thinking about cooking or actually doing it. It is now a true hobby for me.

6. This year, out of necessity, I discovered other exercises instead of running. I have discovered I love doing hill walking on the tredmil. It gets my heartrate up and gives me the feeling running does, which I haven't been able to find elsewhere before.

7. The past few months of 07, I have discovered a new hobby, working out. I have been diligently lifting weights 2x a week and working out at least 3x a week. It is now a HUGE way I get my stress out and almost boarders on an "addiction" (albeit a very healthy, non obsessive addiction.) Still, if I don't get a workout in, I start to get the jitters almost. When I have a stressful day I crave working out and find a lot of comfort in it. Along with cooking, I am really pleased to have this outlet and enjoy working out a lot.

8. We officially joined our church a few months ago. I have never joined a church before because I view it like a marriage. If you commit to it, nothing short of death should separate you from your church. (Moving or significant change in leadership, style, or theology would also be acceptable reasons for leaving.) I took the step and John and I formally in writing committed to Friendship Baptist Church of Plainfield. I'm really loving it a lot. We are starting to get a lot more connected to the church and making a lot of new contacts there. It's exciting what is happening in our lives there.

9. My friend Kate and I have grown closer, which is a big blessing. This has happened over the past few months and I am really grateful for her friendship. (In a non-weird/stalkerish way.) It's really hard for me to make deep friendships and feel connected to people, but Kate is someone whom I get and who gets me. I really look forward to staying friends with her for the long haul.

10. I am trying to find a way to get into lactation consulting. I think this might be more of a calling for me than being a Doula. The big problem is that becoming an IBCLC is a really really difficult and long and tedious process that is so overwhelming I'm not sure where or how to start. My work is offering a training in February, and I'm crossing my fingers that I can attend. I believe it would allow me to be a Certified Lactation Consultant and hopefully open a door for me to start doing some sort of work in that area or even just point me in a direction to go.

So that's it, my random thoughts of 2007 and things that have transpired this year. If you're up for it---TAG YOU'RE IT!!

1 comment:

splinters and wholeness said...

oh april---i am touched!!

i too am so thankful for our friendship and love the way it feels to connect with someone in a way that i havent for a very long time.

you are too sweet :)