Thursday, November 15, 2007

Interview

Thanks to Farrah for deciding to interview me. It is pretty fun-I feel like a celebrity!


1. Explain a little about why a doula helps during birth and the benefit of having one. Also, why did you choose to become a doula?

Oh boy, this one could be a long answer. The basic answer is this: A doula is a helper, a supporter, and someone to travel along this journey of pregnancy and birth with you. A doula will provide emotional, physical and mental support for you and your partner during labor and delivery. During this very special time in your life, a doula can help you have the birth you want. (At least that is something I've come up with to try and put the whole of a doula in a nut shell.) A doula is simply a great person to have at your birth because they add an extra set of hands, another head to put together, and another shoulder to cry on or offer support. A wise woman told me that you can't have too many useful people at a birth. A doula is a useful person to have at a birth.
I decided to become a doula after seeing several of my friends do it. I have been interested in birth and babies my entire life, always wanting a natural, non-medicated birth for myself, so a doula was just a next step. Something I could do to help other women have their dream births and just a way to keep my passion alive.

2. What is your favorite thing about motherhood so far? Least favorite?

My favorite thing about motherhood are all the good, amazing times. Times when everything in the world is right; spending time with her is easy, she is enjoyable, we're both having a good time. In those times, my heart swells, and there is no greater feeling. Also, Anne asking for hugs, kisses and cuddles. That melts my heart when she runs up to me and gives me a hug, or when I ask for a kiss she leans in saying "mmm!"
My least favorite thing is probably just the tied down feeling. The feeling that I can't do something because she's napping or she is fussy or she needs something else to happen instead. The feeling that John and I can't just take off for a day or a date because we have her. Or simply that I can't sit and read a book for 10 minutes because I have to pay attention to her and meet her needs. I also don't like the whining and the fussing.

3.Do you come from a big or a small family? How has that shaped how many kids you want?

I came from a medium family. I have 2 sisters. My dad has a brother and a sister and my mom has a brother and a sister. Each of them have very modest families as well. This has definitely shaped how many kids I want. I always wanted a big family-5 or 6 kids, for several reasons. First because I always wished I had more siblings just so I could have more friends. Siblings have a special relationship, and I'm fortunate to be friends with my sisters, but always wanted more still. So I want to give my kids that opportunity to have as many friends as I can give them. Also, our family gatherings were large if we all got together, but really, pretty small. 15-20 people and that was everyone. So I always wanted a full house when I had holidays. I always thought it would be so cool to have 5 grown kids, their spouses and their kids all over and just have the house completely filled with people who love each other. I haven't given up this dream, but it is a definite possibility we will end with 2 kids total just because of logistics of wanting to give them things, do things with them, and more kids adding more stress. We'll see. We won't make a final choice on how many kids for at least 4 more years so I'm hoping as I evolve as a mother, we will be more willing to open our arms, hearts and home to more than 2 kids.

4. Favorite guilty pleasure?

Sweets! I LOVE sweets! It is not at all unusual for me to indulge on several different desserts in one sitting. Holidays are hard because I usually have 2-4 different desserts!
I also love books on tape. This isn't a guilty pleasure, but it's something I induldge in nearly everyday. When I work, I listen to books on tape while I drive. I almost exclusively listen to books on tape while I run, and when I'm home, I listen to books on tape while I clean or cook (as long as Anne's gone or asleep. I don't do it when she's around me.). I LOVE books on tape and recently they are my main source of stress relief. If I can clean the kitchen for 30 minutes while listening to a book on tape, I pretty much feel good about my day. If I can't do that, I wind up feeling kind of icky and down. So it's pretty much an addiction now! I probably listen to 2-3 complete, unabridged books, a month. And I've been doing this for at least as long as Anne has been around, and even before that.

5. If you and your family are on a deserted island for 90 days, what would you bring with you and why?

1. Ducky and Elmo. 2. A bottle with endless milk. and 3. Children's story books. Why? Because if Anne ain't happy, nobody happy.

That was great. Do you think this will end up in Vogue or People? Now it's your turn. If you want to be interviewed, leave me a comment including the words "Interview me." I will respond by emailing you five questions. I get to pick the questions. If you don't have a valid email address on your blog, please provide one. You will update your blog with a post containing your answers to the questions. You will include this explanation and an offer to interview someone else in the same post. When others comment asking to be interviewed, you will ask them five questions.

3 comments:

Kristen said...

Interview me!

Nicole said...

That was really fun to read! Interview me! I'm interested to see what kind of questions you come up with. :)

Farrah said...

Those were awesome April! Thanks for playing! I empathize with the feeling of not being free. I think that is at the root of a lot of my frustration when Lucas won't nap. I have in my head the things I can/have to do when he is napping and as the time ticks on I get more and more frustrated that I am not doing those things instead.
Good answers. See ya next week!