Friday, October 19, 2007

The new Donald Trump

Well, we finally did it! After pretty much 12 months of hating our babysitter we finally gave her the boot! It was really hard but the last straw came this week when I very very gently and nicely confronted her about not telling me she was going on vacation next week and couldn't watch Anne (Come on, who gives less than a week's notice??). She got very snotty with me and defensive. So John and I decided that we would let her go even though we don't have a replacement. I had to call her and tell her (because she wasn't home when I went to pick up Anne she left her w/ a neighbor that sometimes helps her out-again, who does this???). She acted like she could have cared less. She probably knew it was coming. I think she thinks I'm this psycho controlling nit-picking woman and I think she was honestly getting annoyed with it (because I had the nerve to say "Why isn't Anne sleeping for her nap and it's 3 pm? Why hasn't she eaten yet and it's 1 pm? No I don't want your teenaged son watching her while you run out for 2 hours!") So anyway, it's done. However, we are now left w/o a babysitter. I just interviewed a home daycare yesterday. It is so hard to commit though! This place seems great-very very professional, every aspect of her day will be planned out from singing, to crafts, to even the meals we get a calendar every month! My reservations are there are a lot of kids there. There are 2 ladies and she would watch as many as 15 kids at once (this is legal since she's licensed). So that's hard-even though I think she's more responsible than the fired sitter, still it's hard to hand over Anne knowing there will be 14 other rugrats around.) Also, it's hard because I'm not sure how much one-on-one time Anne will get just because there are so many kids. Granted the lady said that Anne would mostly be away from the other kids because they separate 2 and under from older kids. Still, it's just hard to let go. I think if Anne were older I'd be fine w/ her going there because it would be awesome for her to have the structure. But as an 18 month old I'm hesitant. I think I'll probably do it anyway, just because I am really impressed with the entire layout of the place and how professional it is. My friend Courtney has her son in a place that is probably identical, so I'm really going to pick her brain about it. I know she loves it so hopefully it can help me to feel more comfortable. (Plus I have such a hard time with change...that makes this hard too...). Say a prayer for me that I get some peace about whatever choice we make.

3 comments:

ElanorLayne said...

How many days a week?

Atwood-Family of FIVE said...

2 Days a week-for 10 hours each day.

ElanorLayne said...

I like the idea of the structured play time. I know it's hard to think of her with a bunch of other kids, but some positive thoughts are: she'll really enjoy the structure and learning, she'll gain interpersonal skills (sharing, patience, gentleness) by playing with other kids, and also, the caregivers have a lot more "accountability" with all those kids watching. No more slacker-babysitters for Anne!