Thursday, October 11, 2007
Back to the basics
Ahhh...John and I have had such a long and involved love-hate affair with cloth diapers. Despite finding diapers that we love (Bum Genius) we have found that after about 6 months the elastic on the legs wear out and pee and poo then leak out. Since I am not going to sew them, we are forced to sell them for a fraction of the price on ebay (because you have to sell them quick and w/o notice as it's now against rules to sell used cloth diapers). So with these diapers running nearly 20 bucks a pop John and I are tempted to give up altogether. We still have at least 2 dozen good diapers though so that won't happen right away. Well, I decided to go back to the basics and retry prefolds and covers. I bought some toddler sized ones of both and am going to wash them and see if they do the job. When Anne was a newborn these weren't a good choice for her because...well...she weighed 5lbs and it's hard to make prefolds work on a 5lber. Now I'm going to try again. At least if they work 1. it is nearly impossible to ruin prefolds and 2. if we do happen to ruin them or the covers they are a lot cheaper to replace. I'll let you know if they work. I have high hopes.